Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Just A ---"

Oh, those two little words.  "Just a ----"

Today, I was asked how I like my job.  I love it.  Seriously.  I do.  I was then asked what do I do.  And I said, "I'm just a secretary."

Just a.

But really, I'm not.  I coordinate the schedules for both the administrator and the assistant administrator of a 725 bed nursing home.  That, in itself, could be a full time job.  I make sure we have current insurance/license/certificates for all the doctors and vendors that perform services at our facility.  I maintain the contracts for the different clinics at our nursing facility.  I make sure we maintain compliance with various EOE/deficit reduction/Title VI postings.  I gather tons of information when the Department of Health comes in.  I take meeting minutes.  I coordinate and design postings for the employee of the month.  Heck, I coordinated the employee of the month luncheon (designing invites, maintaining an invite list, contacting those that didn't respond).  I joined the wellness committee.  Because of that, I am now involved with the health fair at our facility (which, by the way, is open to the public).  I coordinate the anniversary recognition ceremony (for people with 20-25-30-35+ years of service).  I help rewrite policies.  I am one of the first points of contact when families or residents have issues and want to talk to the administrator.  When people have a random question, they tend to come to me.

Just a secretary.

And to top it off, I've had several conversations with both the administrator and assistant administrator in which they both told me I should get my nursing home administrator license.  They think I would be a perfect candidate, and have both volunteered to let me study under them.  (Granted, I don't have the money for that right now, but it is refreshing to know that I have the support of others.  And I was amazed that I made such an impression on them.)

Just a secretary.

I've only been in my current job for four months.  But I hardly think I'm "just a secretary."

Anyways.  This IS fitness related.  I swear.

We all too often sell ourselves short.

"How far did you run today?"
"Just two miles."

"How many pushups did you do today?"
"Just 25."

"How long did you swim for today?"
"Just a half hour."

Just a.

Honestly.  JUST two miles?  JUST 25 pushups?  JUST a half hour of swimming?

I remember when I could hardly walk a mile, let alone run two.  I definitely remember not being able to do any pushups (and the extreme joy/surprise/awesomeness I felt when I realized I could do JUST one.)  And just a couple of month ago, swimming one lap sucked royally.

We need to start owning our awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment