Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Old News is Still News!

So for those of you who are my facebook friends, you already know this....

See that little ribbon with the heart in it with "winner" next to it?  Yep.  I was one of 50 winners!  Apparently, 60,000 entries were received, and with all your help and votes, I was one of 250 finalists.  After that, an independent panel of judges picked 50 winners, based on various criteria (impact of makeover, story, etc.).

How funny that I decided to have a friend do a Mary Kay makeover on me only because she was trying to reach 50 makeovers by a certain time period?  I figured, ehhhh, I like makeup, why not?  Little did I know it would be entered into a contest that would get Girls on the Run of Lehigh County (the very deserving charity I chose) $5,000!

Enough with all that basking in my beauty (lol)....

I have just about a week until my first Couch to 5k class starts!  I have about 12 people signed up with completed waivers, with another 7-ish interested.  I'm thrilled.  It isn't a super huge number, so things should be quite manageable for my first go-around at this.  I'm just happy some people in the County are willing to take part in this.  And if word gets out that it is fun, I'm hoping it will grow as I continue it.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited.  I had an employee contact me and say her doctor said she needs to lose weight, so she's going to give it a shot.  Someone else will be celebrating a Birthday around the time of the end-of-season 5k, so her goal is to finish the 5k for her Birthday.  Someone else simply said, "I need to get off the couch."

This could be some seriously life-changing stuff.

I'm sure by next Tuesday, I'll be feeling like I have to vomit.  But for now, I'm pretty calm.

In other news, I'm still playing this softball stuff.  And still really liking it.  This past weekend, we played in a pretty cool tourney to benefit the Miracle League of Northampton County.  It started off with a women's tourney at 9:00 at night, and it went on all night!  (I didn't play in this one....holy crap those chicks are good!  I'd have to play for probably a bajillion years before I could crack one of their lineups.)

The coed tourney was supposed to start Saturday morning, but it was pouring.  Seriously pouring.  Long story short, they changed it to a one-pitch tourney.  Yeah, you read that right.  One.  Pitch.  For someone who still sucks at hitting in game situations (I can hit like a mofo in batting practice, figure that one out), a one pitch tourney messes with your head.  You either swing and hit the ball, walk, or strike out.  All in one pitch.

Not only did I have that going for me (please note the sarcasm), but the first game was played in this awful rain.  The field was a disgusting, slippery mess.  I've never played in rain before.  (Hello!  First year playing!  Haven't even played in a drizzle.)  Let's just say it was interesting.

We lost our first game, but after that, things picked up.  We ended up playing a total of five games in the tourney before we lost a second game (and came in third).  But my big news was that I played all those games in left field...and played my best games yet!  I had a ton of catches!  My teammates were saying they could have done a highlight reel of all my catches!  I was jacked.  I felt on fire!

I do have to share this though....this is what happens when you catch the ball with your arm instead of your glove:

Luckily, I made that mistake early in the tourney, and proceeded to use my glove for the rest of my catches.

After the tourney, we had to skiddadle out of there and down to our league game.  Yep, after five games in the tourney, we had to play another one (a playoff game, no less).  I was SORE.  This was officially the most games I've ever played in a day.  But I gave the league game my all, had a nice catch out in left, and we won.

Overall, a pretty decent weekend.  Monday was a desperately needed rest day (oh, yeah....I played two pickup games of ball on Sunday afternoon, and caught in left field during batting practice).  Today I got a massage, so I should be fresh as a daisy for a bike ride and Death Gym tomorrow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment