Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Nervy Little Nerve

I went to the ortho today about the whole hand/wrist/elbow issue (which started to migrate to my upper arm/shoulder...yikes).  And before you all get excited, I went to my normal ortho's office; not the new one I was asking about on Facebook.  Why?  Because I called the normal ortho on Tuesday afternoon, and they got me in this morning at 9:30.  Sometimes, you just gotta buck up and deal.

Quite frankly, it wasn't so bad.  I actually met the the Physician's Assistant, and she was very nice, listened to me, and was helpful.  They took x-rays of my neck, and she commented that my neck looked good, except that it is pretty much straight...most necks have a curve to them.  Ha.  I told her I go to a chiro regularly, and he's had x-rays done of my whole neck/back, and I knew my neck is pretty much straight.  (Along with a laundry list of other issues.)

Anyways.....the verdict is: pinched nerve in my neck.  Not really a big deal, if you ask me.  I'll be on a steroid pack for a couple days (grrrr...roid rage, lol), and no lifting overhead for a week or two (ummm, yeah....that'll be a week, thank you very much), but other than that, I'm good.

Oh, except for spin.  Out convo went a little like this:

Me: I'm assuming I shouldn't be lifting.
PA: No, you shouldn't lift heavy boxes or anything.
Me.: I mean, like at the gym.
PA: No, you shouldn't lift anything above your head.  Cardio is fine.
Me: Even riding bike?
PA: Yeah, you can ride bike.  But nothing crazy like spin.
Me: Spin is not crazy. (In my head...what the hell is so crazy about spin?)
PA: But you're up and down a lot on the bike.
Me: (In my head....uhhhh....pretty similar on a normal bike....oh well....she said I can do that.)  And running?
PA: Running is fine.
Me: If I can't lift above my head, can I do rows?  They're not lifting above my head.
PA: Ummm, no, you should probably avoid them too.
Me: Okay.  (In my head....just stop asking questions....core and lower body it is.)

I'll deal with the steroids and the not lifting for a week.  The PA said she had a very similar problem a couple months ago, exact same symptoms, and the steroids knocked out the pain.  So hopefully, I'll have the same response, and I'll be back in the game in no time.

Tomorrow morning, treadmill run.  It looks like the weather will be perking up next week, so maybe I'll finally be able to get in an early morning run outside then!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! I hope it gets better for you soon! I know being sideline sucks, but think about how much stronger you will be!

    ReplyDelete