Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Running in the Rain...Just Running in the Rain!

I think about all kinds of things when I run.  All these awesome thoughts go through my head, and I'm like, "Oh....that would be an awesome blog topic."

Then I stop running, go to Death Gym, go home, shower, eat, blah, blah, blah....and my mind is a blank.

Luckily, I do remember one thing from my run today.

I'm going to stop saying I'm slow.  Sure, I'm slower than other runners.  And I'm definitely much slower than I was a couple years ago.  But, I am where I am.  I'm not slow.  I'm running the perfect pace for me, at this moment.  Most of my runs are averaging the same-ish pace.  And eventually, I'll start throwing in some speedwork (probably fartlek-type running, b/c I can't wrap my head around a track) and hills.  But for now, I'm just running to run.  To get back into it.

But damn it.  For me, right now, I AM NOT SLOW.  I am just running.  So there.  :)

Other things I learned/remembered during my run today:

  • Running gets easier if you keep doing it regularly.  I had forgotten that.  Duh.
  • Running in the rain is probably the best feeling ever.  While I was at work, I was almost dreading my run.  I kept watching the rain pour down.  I told myself to suck it up.  Then, when I started running, the ran had stopped and I was sad inside.  Halfway through, it started misting, and by the time I was done, it was pouring.  And it was glorious.  Simply. Glorious.  There is something cleansing, renewing, whatever, about running in the rain.
  • I love the feeling of having to breathe deep while running....makes me feel like a machine.
  • All the lifting I've been doing.....yeah.  Helps with the running.  (See....all this shit is connected.)  Even though I started to feel tired-ish towards the end, my back/shoulders/core kept me upright, stopped me from hunching over, and kept my form (mostly) in check.  Seriously.  Never realized how awesome that could be.  I bet I looked strong, even if I didn't feel it.

I'm not too big on "selfies" while running/working out, but I just felt so "in the moment" (if that makes any sense).  And yes....I listen to music.  That way, I don't have to listen to myself breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment